If you don’t agree that March is one of the most exciting months of the year for all basketball fanatics, we have some crazy facts to back it up.
Did you know that roughly 3.5 million extra cases of beer are produced to keep up with increased demand during the basketball tournament? Apparently, it also costs businesses $4 billion per year to compensate for all the employees who decide to use their sick days during the tournament! Are you one of them?
This year, we decided to dig a little deeper and put together a list of more March Madness facts you should know about.
5 March Madness Facts You Need To Know
- March Madness commercials are just as expensive. If you thought Super Bowl commercials were expensive, you’re wrong. In 2012, the average cost of a 30-second commercial during March Madness was $1.34 million. Moreover, ad spending reached $1 billion for the first time ever that year.
- Only one coach has ever won both championships in the NCAA and NBA. That guy is Larry Brown who did it with the Kansas Jayhawks in 1988 (NCAA) and the Detroit Pistons in 2004 (NBA).
- The University of Connecticut is the only school to have won men’s and women’s national championship teams in the same year… twice in 2004 and 2014.
- The NCAA doesn’t want you to gamble on your bracket. An official policy states: “Fantasy leagues, March Madness brackets, sports pools, online sports bets and sports parlay cards are all forms of sports wagering. If you put something at risk, such as an entry fee, for an opportunity to win something in return, you violate the NCAA sports wagering bylaws.”
- Increase in pizza and beer sales. Everybody knows that watching basketball is that much better if you have a beer and pizza in hand! According to Wallethub, while American beer companies produce an average of 14 million barrels a month, that number will bloat to somewhere between 17-18 million barrels in March. Pizza orders increase by 19%.
Did you know any of these March Madness facts? If you want to know how the March Madness phrase was coined or who holds the most titles by far, visit this post.
Download your March Madness bracket here.
The bracket odds may not be in your favor, but great prices on beverages should be! Tri-State Liquors has the lowest prices on alcohol! We are located in TAX-FREE Delaware, just over the I95 PA / DE line Naamans Rd. Exit.
Make sure to check out inventory SPECIALS to get your parties well equipped without spending too much money on alcohol!