The first fresh of spring air that comes with March is priceless, but what’s even more exciting is what follows after! We’re so happy to say March Madness is just around the corner!
If you’re a basketball fan, you came to the right place. This year, we decided to put together another list of interesting March Madness facts you should know about. Let’s jump right into it! 😉
Interesting March Madness Facts
- The tradition of cutting down the nets is credited to Everett Case, who coached at North Carolina State from 1946-1964. He snipped the nets after his team won the Southern Conference Tournament in 1947.
- The term “Final Four” was originated by Cleveland Plain Dealer sportswriter Ed Chay while referencing Marquette’s tournament run in a 1975 piece. The term was first capitalized on the NCAA’s 1978 basketball guide.
- Michael Jordan was just a freshman when he hit arguably the most famous jumper in the history of what is considered the best program in college basketball history. With 15 seconds left in the 1982 national championship game against Georgetown, MJ’s jumper gave the Tar Heels a lead they wouldn’t relinquish and coach Dean Smith his first title.
- Final Four games have been decided by a single point 16 times. You remember the most recent one — North Carolina beat Oregon, 77-76, in the 2017 Final Four to advance to the championship game.
- The Texas Western team that won the 1966 national championship was the first team with five African-Americans in the starting lineup to win the title. It was one of the most important cultural moments in sports, not just college basketball.
Hungry for more interesting March Madness facts? Visit this post.
Download your 2019 March Madness bracket here.
The bracket odds may be tough, but our great prices on beverages are unbeatable! Tri-State Liquors has the lowest prices on alcohol! We are located in TAX-FREE Delaware, just over the I95 PA / DE line Naamans Rd. Exit.
Make sure to check out inventory SPECIALS to get your parties well equipped without spending too much money on alcohol!